F9-Beta install from local harddisk - broken?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Apr 4 19:41:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:24:09 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > > far not the common case and thus it didn't get any testing until you
> > > tried it.  It likely would still be broken in the final release if you
> > > didn't try it (not that I'm claiming it will be fixed, this may be one
> > > of those "don't do that" issues, but at least we'll know about it and
> > > can document it due to your testing).
> >
> > The traceback in Anaconda related to GRUB device options is from a
> > real-world install scenario. It's very common to install GRUB not into
> > the MBR. The other bug in GRUB shell certainly is no
> > "don't do that" issue, because the GRUB shell is made for things
> > like that.
>
> Yes, the traceback from anaconda is a real bug, what's the bug # again?
>
> Your grub shell issue isn't what I was commenting on, it was trying to
> use F8's grub to load F9.  That's the untested and potentially "don't do
> that" type thing.  Again what's the bug #?

What you call "trying to use F8's grub to load F9" is simple file-based
chainloading in the GRUB shell. There's nothing forbidden in there,
it's just that F8 GRUB doesn't understand F9's fs structure.

It's likely that in the near future, I'll be nice again. Today, no
new bug #s, because I've had enough bugzilla triage spam for stuff
nobody cared to look at.

But I plan to clone #440343 because it also affects F9 and has a
high probability that it will still be open next year.