Today's rawhide install

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Apr 5 17:02:18 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a Dell inspiron 2650 that I did a clean install of today's rawhide on.

The following are some of the problems I encountered:

1. Numerous avc's apparently from things being mis-labeled. Do these still need
to be filed as bugs? I see others mentioning this on this list. I have not done
anything to the machine other than install from the network. No kickstart, no
customizations. After the relabel I am still getting various AVC's that I do not
understand.

2. When booting for the first time, I get the graphical boot but then it drops
to test mode to give do the first boot stuff but before I can respond it tries
to start X and hangs. All I see are a mouse pointer and a blue background.
Rebooting with RHGB off gets me to a text based first boot and then a command
prompt. Switching to run level 5 gets X started and operating as expected.
inittab shows the default runlevel to be 3. I changed it to 5. I suspect that
the reason it was defaulted to 3 is because anaconda failed to start X during
the install, so I did the install over vnc. After the first reboot and a relabel
the machine started normally with RHGB enabled.

I would file bug(s) for the above but I am not sure which component(s) to use
and exactly what information to provide.

3. NM detected and enabled the network interfaces including a MadWifi wireless
card. YEA!! The only thing that seems odd is if I am connected to my wired
network and I click on the NM icon to get a list of available networks and
then click on my wireless network, NM says that I am connected to the wifi but
the icon still shows the 2 computers as opposed to the signal strength icon.
If I disconnect the ethernet cable and wait a few seconds, it will switch
to the signal strength icon and the wired network selection is greyed out.

In F8 clicking on which ever network I wanted to be connected to, made the
switch as expected.

All in all so far this is pretty good for beta software.

More testing to come!!

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com