desktop update failure (F9beta)

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Sun Apr 6 20:08:37 UTC 2008

My F9b Gnome desktop showed updates available, so I looked 'em over and
turned it loose. I could see it download all the packages, but shortly
after the transaction check, an error window (I guess--I saw something
red on it) flashed very briefly, and then another dialog appeared saying
that the updates were "finished" with no hint of any problem.

The panel notifier still showed 34 updates pending.

I couldn't find any errors in /var/log/messages, or any other log.

I gave up on the desktop updater and ran "yum update" from a console
window.. That installed the packages; no further downloads were needed,
so it surely looked like the desktop updater had indeed failed to
install any packages.

It may have been a disk space issue: I only have about 10M free in /.

So, is there any way to find out why the update failed?

Is there something I should do next time updates come along to be able
to collect diagnostic information?

In any case, the updater behavior seems inadequate in this case, since
the error dialog was too brief to be of any use and the final status
window failed to show there was any problem.

<Joe