menu usefulness destroyed, how to make useful again

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 19:28:15 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. sorry for the alarm.
>
> I suspect your gnome-settings-daemon had frozen and you attempted to
> make the change where it could not communicate with the panel (so panel
> warned you), and later relogging in just got the daemon running as
> expected.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. I'll have to log out of
the GUI's and then back in if problems creep up unexpectedly.

If it is possible to get a message that states your system is locked
down, there should be some setting which would gray out some features
and prevent removing existing applets. I hope I never need it.

Regarding the problem with X, I was getting lspci output as a regular user.
also I'll attach to an existing bug or file a new bug and include the
logs for the nouveau or nv not working.
I included so I do not need to post a separate reply is the lspci output
as root this time. I'll have to remember this limitation and get lspci
information as root only in the future. Thanks for that explanation
also. Capabilities are allowed, though signaled is spelled wrong in the
output. (its red underlined, not noticeable otherwise really)

NV lspci as root:
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7000M (rev
a2) (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30ea
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb

Jim