Intermittant Gnome action

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 00:48:47 UTC 2008

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> What would cause a Gnome logon to start, without any icons shown on
 the desktop and with the desktop (via command line) showing all the
 files that would appear.

> This would happen once every 5 to 10 logons.
>
> Relogging causes correct action.

Nautilus hanging or failing to start for a variety of reasons.  Running
 'killall
nautilus', or better 'kill -SIGHUP <pid-of-nautilus>' with the right
 pid should
fire it back up without logout.  If its happening that often it could
 be
something noticeable, like selinux denials, dbus not starting,
 gnome-vfs maybe.
  Look in ~/.xsession-errors for any clues there.

Further to the above. Running from the menu is fine, only the desktop is vacant.
Selinux was turned off (leaving off during beta evaluation).

Relogging solves problem.  By the way, it does not matter if it is following a fresh boot or if I relogged after an absense of time.