Rawhide kernel kernel-2.6.25-0.200.rc8.git3.fc9.i686 fails to boot - FOUND REASON

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:08:55 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:

> Unless you're using wpa_supplicant manually, the service doesn't need to
> run.  Disable it, as NetworkManager will use it on demand.

I do need to run wpa_supplicant during boot - as I have systems where the user
does not want to know about using NetworkManager and just wants to fire up the
system and have the network running without intervention - and I want to be able
to access the system even before the user logs in - I believe that NM only
starts once a user logs in to the desktop.

Hence I start wpa_supplicant as a daemon during boot on all my laptops and then
call for an ip address via dhclient run from rc.local - that way the system
has a wireless connection even if it has booted but the local user is not
yet on a desktop. This is useful so that only specific networks defined in
the wpa_supplicant.conf will be connected, keeping the system under control
and secure.

Anyway I presume that this facility will become usable again soon.