Intermittant Gnome action

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:12:15 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> However, I found out yesterday that if I run any gtk app that I can
> think of (nautilus, firefox, gedit) and I have a network connection it
> freezes.  That is, I can boot up with both wired and wireless set to not
> start.  I can boot into gnome, open firefox, and the like.  However, as
> soon as I make a network connection, whether wired or wireless, no gtk
> application will run.  KDE is fine, opera is fine, openbox, fluxbox and
> all xterms (save urxvt as per an earlier thread) run without problems.

Pretty good guess on that one is that when booting into those alternate
environments you're getting the environment variable http_proxy set, which
causes the gtk apps to freeze attempting to connect to your proxy.  There have
been a good number of people with that issue on fedora forum in F8, so I'd guess
the issue remains in F9.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29