silly question - what is the rawhide/9beta+ way to set my timezone

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 8 13:30:16 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> Yeah, every time I boot my notebook, it resets the clock to what is
>> possibly UTC. I used to set region/timezone by right clicking the
>> gnome clock.
>>
>> Where do I do that now ?
OK, got that in the menu {Date & Time}. timezone is set correctly, and
UTC is not checked. adding a ntp server {that works from ntpdate
au.pool.ntp.org}, doesn't get the clock set.

Actually, this may have never worked eg:  I think I may have previously
needed to service ntpd stop, let the applet fix time, then service ntpd
start.

> system-config-date to set the timezone and choose whether the clock
> updates by ntp.  The checkbox for 'System Clock uses UTC' is probably
> checked for you.  If you toggle back and forth between Windows and Linux
> this will cause you that kind of grief.
I don't. Machine hw clock has always been in local time.

> If you're not using windows, then it might be a problem with the
> hardware clock getting set at all when ntp changes your time, or perhaps
> you've got a dead battery?
It occurs on two rawhide machines - a 1 year old notebook, and a 4 year
old dell poweredge server.

> Does the date stay correct?
No. Well - it is matched / by the time difference:
local 2008-04-08 23:30,
shows 2008-04-09 19:30.

So this would be a new feature=fault or not ?

DaveT.