Rawhide yum-update eats ~1.2GB of memory.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 8 14:05:29 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:36 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:

>>> Okay so for x86_64 rawhide yum is going to use about 450-500MB of memory
>>> for the package lists and depsolving.
>> Eeeek.
>> Are you expecting the same memory consumption under F9-release?
>
> For the same set of packages, etc on a 32bit box the memory size is
> 112MB.
>
> It's due to how python does 64bit objects in memory - they explode about
> 2-3x the size.

That may go to explain why I see "f9beta update takes forever"

> James Antill has done some marvelous work reducing the overall memory
> footprint of yum, but it's not going to overcome the 64bit issue above.
>
> Unless there is a compelling reason like you're using > 4GB of ram, you
> should think about running i686 not x86_64.

In my case
a) It's too late, I've been running 64-bit since this about time in the
f8 cycle.
b) I may well add RAM, I've already increased disk by an order of
magnitude. I think my mobo supports eight, but only has two at present.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait