X11 failure ?

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 23:03:19 UTC 2008

hi,

Found this list in the wiki.x.org page.

Running Fedora8 x86_64 on a  HP c6715b,with "xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm".

1. until a couple of days back, I could watch YouTube and such in Firefox.
( not sure what messed things up )
- tried Opera and Konqueror, but they don't work either, so it should not be
Firefox alone.

2. My hardware is "ATI Radeon Xpress ?1250? for HP_TT" ( pasted from xorg.0.log )
- think it may use a 1200 driver, as that is what I believed was used with the
"xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm". ( This may have been updated, as
when I did: rpm -q xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm, it said that it wasn't
installed ??! )
- xorg.0.log says: xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-44.fc8, which probes a lot of stuff.

3. Have asked a few questions regarding applications like Miro,Totemplayer, and so
on did run under Fedora 8, but nobody did answer this question. Perhaps they didn't understand it, as my impression is that others have these programs running.
The programs  refuse to show anything in the movie window. ( could be missing some plug-ins, and other settings, but think there may be more to it )

4. At the moment, any application like in (3) crash the screen. It may go blank, may set up a uniform color, or a lot of vertical stripes. No keys will work, and the
only option is to use power-off and restart the computer.

5. Ctrl-Alt-F# should give me a new text screen, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 should give me
back the graphical window. But this has never worked.
- Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example, give a blank screen, or empty page. ( in fact, it seem
like it may probe resolution or something, but doesn't drop into text mode )

Should this be filed as a bug against the X-server ?  As I am unsure how sort out
the many issues, so I write this.

I don't have a consol to log into it, so I am unsure how to do this at the moment.

Suggestions ?

//ARNE