DPMS and gdm

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 05:36:58 UTC 2008

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

>>> xset +dpms
>>> xset dpms 15 30 45
>>>
>>> (sleep 15; xset dpms force off)&
>>>
>>  If you don't add the force, does the specified timing work?
>
> No, then it just doesn't ever go off.  That was after a quick test
> where I waited about a minute.  I'll keep the "force" commented out
> and let it go all night to verify that it doesn't turn off after
> several hours.

Out of curiosity.. are those xset commands happening after the X server is
started (for sure)?  The 15s delay before your force may be hiding the fact that
the X server is overriding your set values if the X server starts during those
15s and sets some other value to the settings.

Maybe you should drop a longer sleep in there before you do the settings, then
force off.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29