multiple "mode sensing" scans in Xorg.0.log .... ?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 14:03:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 17:02 -0700, Tom London wrote:
> Running on a Thinkpad X60 with Intel 945 graphics, intel driver.
>
> I notice that Xorg.0.log seems to repeat the mode sensing sequence
> over and over again.
>
> For example:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# grep 'DDC gathered Modelines' $_ | wc
>      16      96     768
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> It appears to be the same "stuff" repeated 16 times.
>
> Anyone know if that is to be expected?

Yeah, expected, though certainly verbose.  That gets printed every time
we scan your monitor, which is at least twice as often as it needs to be
on startup, and then again every time something asks RANDR what the
current output configuration is.

I've wanted to do a patch for a while now that compares the EDID block