F9 beta - Desktop effects

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:37:20 UTC 2008

On 10/04/2008, Okechukwu <okechukwu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Got an issue on kde4 F9beta:-
> Whenever I enable Desktop effects -> System Setting -> Desktop Effects, all
> the current open application windows freeze - they are visible on pane but
> can't open and immediately I disable the effects again, the systems logs me
> out and immediately changes default session to gnome - maybe there is a
> trivial solution. Systems an i686.
>  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If it's any help at all: I had similar-sounding problems until
yesterday, but with the combination of the latest (.212) kernel and
recent ati driver + Xorg server, all is well. It's possible the kernel
is one of the biggest parts. Dave Airlie reported that he'd fixed some
problems with the drm and memory mapping in that kernel, and it
certainly improved behaviour for me. You might have to grab it from
Koji ...