Skip Preview Release?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 11 07:55:27 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Jon Stanley wrote:
>> I was able to install a recent Rawhide. Refer to John Poelstra's
>> rawhide install matrix (John could you provide a link?) For the latest
>> daily status
>
> Thanks Jon, I have managed installs in the last week as well, but I am
> really wondering if John S has tried to do a clean install to workaround
> his kernel issues, because I believe we were originally talking about an
> F8 updated to alpha machine that was having the failure to boot any
> recent 2.6.25 kernel.

I've done extensive testing, and I've reported it all to this list. It's
a kernel problem, not a Fedora problem, and it's unrelated to problems
anyone else has reported that I've seen, and especially unrelated to the
mkinitrd problems.

I've built numerous kernels without initrds, and that would seem to rule
out the mkinitrd problems a Jones boy alluded to.

Since I can reproduce it with kernel.org source, that rules out its
being a Fedora-initiated problem.

The fact I also recreated the problem with a Factory install disk, I
feel I can confidently rule out all the Fedora tools.

Whatever _my_ preferences might be, until there's a boot.iso that finds
my disks there's no question of a reinstall.

When there _is_ a boot.iso that finds my disks, I fully expect that
there will also be a working kernel for my system and so no need to
reinstall.

--

Cheers
John