Keyboard problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:24:53 UTC 2008

Rawhide insists that I use a US keyboard.  I'm forever hunting for the
whereabouts of non-alphanumeric keys and it's driving me mad.

System-config-keyboard knows that I want a UK keyboard.  However, it reports

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_gui.py", line 226, in
_okClicked
    return self.apply(None, False)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_gui.py", line 117, in apply
    keyboardBackend.modifyXconfig(fullname, layout, model, variant, options)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-keyboard/keyboard_backend.py", line 34, in
modifyXconfig
    keyboard = xf86config.getCoreKeyboard(xconfig)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/xf86config.py", line 177, in
getCoreKeyboard
    raise XF86SectionMissing("No CoreKeyboard InputDevice found in the
layout")
xf86config.XF86SectionMissing

I tried putting in a keyboard section, but Xorg.conf seems to be dynamically
produced these days, so re-starting X just puts me back with the default US
keyboard.  Is there nothing that can be done about this?

Anne