network/firewall under single user

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Fri Apr 11 20:08:21 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> No, it should not start the firewall, service iptables start should
> start the firewall.

Sure, and it does, but is it a good design to make it easy to start the
network up without the firewall?

My memory is probably faulty, but I'm pretty sure I remember starting
the network in an older release and thinking, "Hey it started the
firewall too--that's a nice touch."

I suppose it doesn't much matter: as long as there's nothing running to
accept a network connection, nothing should be able to get in over the
net. Just the same, having the firewall in place would be that much better.

<Joe