Using encrypted disks

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 12 10:28:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:32:22 +0100,
  Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> That sounds a likely explanation.  I took the default offered because I could
> not see how to make it do what I wanted.  I hate the lack of control, and it
> just isn't intuitive to find how to control the partitioning.  For that
> matter, I don't like LVM either.  I see no advantage to me.  The addition of
> encrypting as an option does seem good.  I wonder if it is possible to
> install and encrypt on a traditional partitioning scheme?

The encryption is implemented with dmcrypt while is stackable with other
block devices. You can encrypt partitions and raid arrays and lvm areas.
If you do a custom layout you should be able to set this up the way you
want. You can't encrypt /boot since currently grub can't encrypted
devices. You don't want to encrypt array elements as there is more overhead
encrypting each element rather than the array itself.