Can't install on two-disk LVM

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 13:11:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade to rawhide using livecd, but I have issues with LVM in
anaconda (the installed system is FC6). The disks and LVM setup on this
system is like this:

sda1 ext3 /boot
sda2 VolGroup00

sdb1 ntfs
sdb2 VolGroup00

VolGroup00/LogVol00 ext3 /
VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap
VolGroup00/LogVol02 ext3 /home

Now, I'd like to format VolGroup00/LogVol00, swap and hda0 and keep the
rest, so during installation I set custom layout.

However, what anaconda sees is this:

sda1 ext3 /boot
sda2 LVM PV (VolGroup00)

sdb1 ntfs
sdb2 Linux native

When I selest sdb2 and try to edit, an error pops out:

You cannot edit this partition:

This partition is part of the LVM volume group 'VolGroup00'.

When I try to set the mount poinst for VolGroup00, the installator thinks
it's only on sda2 and complains:

The logical volumes you have configured require 167872 MB, but the volume
group only has 9376 MB.  Please either make the volume group larger or make
the logical volume(s) smaller.

(The first size is the actual size of the whole VolGroup, the second on is
size of the sda2 parition...)

Can it be that this behaviour is expected on this kind of setups? Is there a
way to workaround it? Should I file a bug against anaconda, or some another
component? Note that the very same partitions can be successfully mounted
and used in the Live CD (20080404).

I tried to update anaconda too latest, but this issue remains.
anaconda-11.4.0.71-1.i386

Thanks,
Martin