When should network be closed down?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sat Apr 12 15:06:03 UTC 2008

I have a CIFS mount on a rawhide test system that takes about 45 seconds
to umount during shutdown or restart.  If I ctrl-alt-f7, I see the
Unmounting CIFS filesystems msg displayed there and the wait begins.  I
also see that network manager daemon is first service to be stopped and
the dispatcher is the 5th.  Unmounting the cifs file is about number 20
or so.  I believe the prolonged stop on the cifs umount is due to no
network being up.  Is this correct?  If so, should network mounts be
unmounted first or should network manager umount them?  Or, is this an
upstart issue?

Network service is disabled, network manager and dispatcher are enabled
and Let NM manage device check box is selected for eth0.  Gnome desktop,
no selinux.

I am happy to bz this, but don't know what to bz against?