should gphoto launch automatically?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 14 13:40:10 UTC 2008

Joe Smith wrote:
> It did for me with F8, but not now for F9beta.
Is that an up2date beta + or straight beta ?

> I can run gthumb and File > Import Photos. The camera is detected
> correctly and I can download photos, it just doesn't launch gphoto when
> I plug in the camera.
>
> I have (almost) no idea how that process actually works--hal? dbus?--so
> I don't know where to start investigating whether there's a problem.
>
> There's nothing weird looking in /var/log/messages
Is there nothing at all as you plug it in ?

lshal -m
is useful for working out what hal knows about the device. Unfortunately
that is as far as I have got with this stuff.

If you still have an f8 machine, how recently did this last just work ?
Could you show the differences between f8 and f9beta for lshal -m and
/log/messages ?

DaveT.