Intel + hi-res video on rawhide = problems

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Mon Apr 14 14:42:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:29:38PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 14:43 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:24:52AM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having hard time trying to sanely play hi-res (meaning with higher
> > > resolution than plain PAL or NTFS; all uses h264 for video) videos on
> > > Rawhide. Xine-based applications all crash with SEGFAULT (I tried totem
> > > and gxine),
> >
> > They shouldn't do that. Please install the appropriate debuginfo packages
> > (debuginfo-install xine etc.) and file a bug.
> >
> Will do.
>
> > > mplayer works only with X11 and gl2 (this one is terribly
> > > slow, compared to X11 and gl2 on F8) video outputs,
> >
> > What happens with mplayer -vo xv? Did you set any video-related options
> > for the intel driver in xorg.conf?
> >
> > Regards,
> > R.
> >
> mplayer -vo xv gives these error messages (a lot of these):
> X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>
> In the meanwhile I installed vlc and it suffers from the same problem as
> xine-based apps (crash). I wonder why is it that only gstreamer works.
>
> There are no intel driver related options in xorg.conf. In fact it's
> rather short (short ServerLayout section, short Device section and short
> Screensection, only to set bitdepth to 24bit, intel driver and default
> layout) compared to F8 and older...

>From man intel:
[...]
       Option "CacheLines" "integer"
              This allows the user to change the amount of graphics memory  used  for  2D  acceleration  and
              video  when  XAA acceleration is enabled.  Decreasing this amount leaves more for 3D textures.
              Increasing it can improve 2D performance at the expense of 3D performance.   Default:  depends
              on  the  resolution, depth, and available video memory.  The driver attempts to allocate space
              for at 3 screenfuls of pixmaps plus an HD-sized XV video.  The default  used  for  a  specific
              configuration can be found by examining the Xorg log file.

[...]

AFAIR it should be set to at least 6144.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling