nv and external monitor (hotplug?)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Apr 14 17:13:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:18 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Adam Jackson wrote:

>>> For nvidia cards, only G80 and later GPUs have working RANDR 1.2.  This
>>> includes the GeForce 8000 and 9000 series.  What model do you have?
>>
>> NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600M GS (G86) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
>
> That should be working then.  It won't light up magically just from
> plugging it in, but xrandr and the monitor resolution applet should be
> able to configure it.

In my experience the nVIDIA chipsets do not want to see any external
monitors (s-video, tv, secondary VGA, etc.) unless they are plugged in
when the machine was started.  I know it is true of the 440go chipset.  I
will be testing the 8600m chipset this Wednesday at the Portland
Linux/Unix group Advanced Topics meeting.  (My new laptop arrived this
morning less than 2 hours after I left for work.)

--
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.