Suspend no longer works, after Apr 13 updates

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Apr 16 18:05:38 UTC 2008

Ever since updating on the 13th, my X40 laptop will no longer suspend.
The screen darkens (it doesn't dim, the screensaver is just fading to a
black screen), and then the gnome screensaver password prompt is displayed.

The first time that I run "gnome-power-cmd.sh suspend", I get this error
in the terminal:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

However, after the first time, I will always get a different error:

method return sender=:1.8 -> dest=:1.26 reply_serial=2

It seems like dbus is broken, now, but I can't figure out why that'd
be.  I have no idea where to start further debugging.  Any suggestions?