How to download a file without installing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:25:39 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008 15:25, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 15:25 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > yum install yum-downloadonly
> > > yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=/home/vasile/Desktop/  install
> > > packagename
> >
> > That just brought me the options list :-(
> >
> > yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=/home/anne/Desktop/
> > system-config-network-1.5.5
> >
> > > Of course, yumdownloader usage is preferred over yum-downloadonly.
> >
> > That didn't help either.
>
> why didn't yumdownloader help?

as I said earlier, it just said 'nothing to install'.

I'm getting nowhere with this.  I had forgotten that even doing a localinstall
checks the repos before starting.  I can't get a network connection, so it
can't get the lists, therefore I can't install.  Isn't there any way around
this?  I have the bare kde disk install on there and I can't get any updates
for it.

Anne