Extra Extra read all about it - Preupgrade released....

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 01:49:34 UTC 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 09:41 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
>>>
>>> It requires reformatting and thus a fresh install
>>
>> I thought that was the point of PreUpgrade, to allow to do tasks that
>> can't be done on an active system (like via yum)?
>
> There are some cases where this can be done, but there's just not any
> way to do the migration to an encrypted system without reformatting
> the
> underlying device.

It might be possible, theoretically:

1) Shrink root LV/filesystem by however much free space is available
(say 20GB)
2) create new encrypted LV in freed space
3) move files to new encrypted filesystem until it's full or we finish
4) if we're not finished, shrink the root LV again and expand the
encrypted LV

But this is neither simple nor reliable. Might be fun, though.

-w