A question about freenx

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:34:46 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins <scottro <at> nyc.rr.com> writes:

> (The other recommendation, if you don't need more than two concurrent
> connections, is to use the free as in Free Diet Mountain Dew version of
> nomachine.com's NX server.   It's far less troublesome, as well as being
> properly documented.)

Well at any one time I only need one connection though occasionally two
would be useful but never more than that. The main crucial requirement
is to be able to make a connection from a remote computer to an existing
native X session on the server machine - and that means being able to
have a duplicate copy of the server machine's desktop even when displaying
the kdm login screen, as well as when the local user logs in. Also to be able
to login the local user on the server through the native X login screen
and be able to move the mouse pointer also.  Provided these requirements
are met then I would be able to change from using the xorg vnc module on the
server as I do now, and viewed/controlled with vncviewer on a remote machine
for management purposes - I also need to be able to connect from a remote
machine at any time without having to first ssh across to the server machine
and run stuff (apart from the one time initial setup).

If this is all nicely documented then I would be happy to test it out,
though if the supported version via a fedora rpm is available then it is
likely to be easier to install and use.

If my needs in paragraph 1 above are well documented for setting up
then I would be happy.  There are issues with vnc
currently that give problems and if this is a viable alternative then I
would be delighted.