network problems after installation

Andrew Cannon andrew at artcannon.ukfsn.org
Fri Apr 18 22:20:46 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I too have had numerous problems with Networking.  My setup is a simple
home network with a router connecting me to the internet via eth0.  Now,
my problem is that the network is not getting activated on boot (despite
me having ifcfg-eth0 set to start the interface at boot.  I've used
NetworkManager (which I detest) and that didn't work (it overwrote the
DNS entries so I could not communicate with the rest of the world) I've
set everything to be static, I've tried DHCP and I still can't get the
network to initialize until I manually bring the network up with
/sbin/ifup eth0.

The only output I get from dmesg is:

[acannon at Cannon5 ~]$ dmesg | grep network
[acannon at Cannon5 ~]$ dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xffffc20000c36000, 00:1a:4d:5a:04:6d, XID
38000000 IRQ2297
r8169: eth0: link up
r8169: eth0: link up
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
[acannon at Cannon5 ~]$ dmesg | grep r8169
r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK-NAPI loaded
r8169: eth0: link up
r8169: eth0: link up

So dmesg thinks that the connection is up, but the rest of the system
doesn't.  Network manager reports the following, even though I haven't
got the connection controlled by NM:

Apr 18 23:06:34 Cannon5 nm-system-settings:    ifcfg-fedora: Ignoring
connection 'ifcfg-eth0' and its device because NM_CONTROLLED was false.

Anyone got any ideas on this?  I've got everything set as static in
ifcfg-eth0 and my resolv.conf has been edited with the DNS entries, plus
I've got them in my hosts file too.

TIA

Andy