Getting graphical login back

Dejan Čabrilo dcabrilo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:41:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 14:47 -0400, Doctor Who wrote:
> I had been using F8 with the nvidia driver and compiz-fusion.  I
> recently updated to rawhide and can no longer boot graphically.  I
> think this is because of the lack of nvidia support with the latest
> kernels.
> What do I need to do/edit/etc. to get a graphical login with gdm back?

Yes, it is in all likelihood lack of nvidia drivers (they don't work
with rawhide yet).

You will have to use open source nv drivers and disable compiz.

To use open-source nv drivers:

        Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change line:
        Driver      "nvidia"
        to:
        Driver      "nv"

        Or, if your nvidia driver's packager provided you with some
        script use that one to disable nvidia drivers. E.g. if you are
        using Livna's nvidia packages, do something like:

        /usr/sbin/nvidia-config-display disable

        You can also make nvidia drivers work without glx, but search
        the mailing list to see how to do it

To disable compiz

        Actually, I dunno exactly what you need to do. I think that if
        you have that fusion-icon thingy that sits in the system tray,
        it should fallback to metacity automatically. Otherwise, make
        sure you run something like

        metacity --replace