Fedora 9 Preview release Assorted issues

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Apr 20 03:11:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 06:29:34AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> John Morris wrote:
>
> >Misfeature if ya ask me.  Ok, it was a cruel trick to set it to
> >something off the wall and watch the next user try to cope but how about
> >just have them time out after a minute to the defaults?  Having them
> >appear and disappear is confusing.
>
> It improves performance since you can delay loading the menus until the point
> it is actually needed or in the background. You wouldn't notice it after a
> while.

I think that such things should be clearly mentioned in the release
notes--it helps avoid confusion.

One thing that I think often gets overlooked is the POLA, Principle Of
Least Astonishment.

Granted, only 10-20 percent of the userbase will read it, but at least,
when someone posts on the forums, I just upgraded to F9 and ....

someone can post a link back to the release notes, a What's Changed
section.

I realize it's difficult. We all
get used to things, and don't even realize what's changed--for instance,
the relocation of the session selector in gdm--I bet that when F9 is
released, there'll be posts on the forums about it.

As others have said, despite all the kinks that you folks are trying to
fix, we're all very grateful for all your hard work.

Cheerfully making work for others,

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I have my pride. Okay, so I don't have a *lot* of my pride,
but I have enough so that I can't do this.