F9 menu issues

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 01:30:17 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> The new kde-style menu responds to mouse-over, and there doesn't seem any way
> to stop it.  To get a sub-menu you have to click on the group member, and if
> the item you want isn't there you have to click on the < button.  This is all
> very slow.  I think it will bring a storm of criticism.
>
> Switching to the classic menu, I find that some sub-menus display over the top
> of the main menu - not all sub-menus, just some of them.  That's probably a
> bug that should be reported.
>
> These are personal reactions, but interfere with my working comfort.

I tried KDE4 and that is definitely my number 1 complaint with the new KDE.  The
new style menu is absolutely unusable as it is (if I wanted to do something that
slow I would browse through the filesystem into /usr and double click the
executable myself).

Of course, it reminds me heavily of the (also disgusting and unusably slow)
Windows Vista new style menu system... which is no surprise as much of KDE's
design mirrors UI elements people find comfortable and familiar.  (no need to
flame I admit I'm a gnome person already people)  I gave KDE4 a shot and I do
like some of it, just not that menu.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29