F9 menu issues

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:13:41 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 02:30, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Of course, it reminds me heavily of the (also disgusting and unusably slow)
>> Windows Vista new style menu system... which is no surprise as much of
>> KDE's design mirrors UI elements people find comfortable and familiar.  (no
>> need to flame I admit I'm a gnome person already people)  I gave KDE4 a
>> shot and I do like some of it, just not that menu.
>
> I don't know anything about Vista, but you may be right about similarities.  I
> understand that there are now International(?) guidelines as to what
> constitutes usability.  I suspect that many of us would argue with some of
> those guidelines.

Probably so, but I think we could agree that Microsoft tends to do what
Microsoft plans to turn into an international guideline (case in point OOXML).
;)  As for the menu, its nearly identical in behavior where you first choose a
subfolder, then that subfolder's contents are displayed but the previous menu is
not.  You must scroll inside the menu size rather than having the menu expand
for long lists, and to go back up the tree you have to click elsewhere.  Its
very slow to work with.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29