Trying to install VMware-workstation on F9 Preview

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:27:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 10:15 +0200, Dejan Čabrilo wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 23:56 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> IIRC, kernel modules can't be built against linux kernel 2.6.25. There
> are patches floating around, but I'm not sure which ones are current and
> would work for you.
>
> See, e.g. http://www.tfug.org/pipermail/tfug/2008-April/018337.html to
> get you started.
>
> Dejan
> P.S. I gave up on vmware and I am now using VirtualBox (free, at least
> as in beer, though it does contain some non-oss parts. iirc, it's
> software that is installed onto the guest system that's tainting the
> license, but I'm not sure) for my desktop virtualization needs. Search
> the archives of this list for my message from April 16th to see how to
> get it to work (should be much easier) — if you aren't tied too tight to
> vmware.

I've been fairly happy with VMware for several years. I use it
exclusively to run Win XP when I have to. The new version (6.5, now in
beta) has an interesting drag-and-drop feature between host and guest
desktops, which I'd like to try, but for now I'm just trying to get back
to version 6.0.3 which worked fine on F8.

I had a desultory look at KVM+QEMU a while back and couldn't get
anywhere (a mysterious message about not finding a console, I forget
exactly what it was). Maybe I'll have another go. I'm afraid the docs
leave a lot to be desired.

poc