Can yum download to a pen-drive?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:30:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 16:58 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 14:26, Todd Denniston wrote:
> >
> > Assuming the LiveCD has a fully populated rpm database on it... have you
> > considered figuring out what driver (and utils) are needed to get it
> > working and then using rpm, on the LiveCD, to see what JUST the NEEDED
> > pcmcia driver and utils depend on, and use that information to pull JUST
> > those rpm's from the net (using a working network computer), and finally to
> > (on the computer with the broken pcmcia) use `rpm -ivh *` on those rpms
> > which you put on the pen-drive?
> >
> I've already updated the system-config-network files by that method, and that
> had, it was hoped, the fix.
>
> The LiveCD definitely has what I need, if only I could identify it.  I can
> actually connect to the network when running Live, but not from the install.
> I don't know what to look for, to find the difference.
>
> > That should at least get it so that you can access the network with the
> > laptop, then you can yum away to do the rest.
> >
> > alternatively fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Preview/Fedora/i386/jigdo/ on
> > your favorite mirror likely has jigdo's for making cd sets, assuming the
> > 9-Preview release has the version of the driver you need.
> >
> > Out of curiosity... how did you get the laptop installed on this far in the
> > first place, i.e., what install media?
> >
> >From the KDE LiveCD.
>
> I've downloaded the Preview DVD, and intend getting it onto a pen-drive.  Can
> you remind me where I can see the instructions for creating a local repo?

# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo
[localrepo]
name=Fedora Local Repo
failovermethod=priority
baseurl=file:///Repo
enabled=1
#

You need to create the Repo directory, containing Packages, and the
repodata folder (from the DVD) in it. In your case it should just work
directly, with the appropriate mods to baseurl in the local.repo file to
point to the mounted pendrive.

Move any other .repo files to one side so they won't interfere, given
you have no network.

poc