How to remove a damaged file

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 23 21:31:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:49:26PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I used that, and now I have the new partition, ext3.  However, although it
> lists, it says I can't write to it.
>
> brwxrwx--- 1 anne users 8, 49 Apr 23 20:37 /dev/sdd1

You want to see permissions on a directory where you are trying
to write and not a block device.  Not the same level.

If they look ok then maybe a selinux context prevents that
writing?  If this is not the case then maybe something set
an unexpected attribute?  Check 'man lsattr' and 'man chattr'.
Say something of that kind:

       A file with the 'i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be  deleted
       or  renamed,  no  link  can  be created to this file and no data can be
       written to the file.  Only the superuser or a  process  possessing  the
       CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute.

Filesystem troubles may cause a garbled inode and some unwanted
attributes set.

   Michal