How to remove a damaged file

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:31:23 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 20:59, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > I used that, and now I have the new partition, ext3.  However, although
> > it lists, it says I can't write to it.
> >
> > brwxrwx--- 1 anne users 8, 49 Apr 23 20:37 /dev/sdd1
> >
> > I'm trying to copy a directory 'Packages' from my desktop to the
> > daneElec. That gives
> >
> > Access denied to /media/DaneElec/Packages.
> >
> > if done in the gui, or
> >
> > cp: cannot create regular file
> > `/media/DaneElec/zsh-4.3.4-7.fc9.i386.rpm': Permission denied

> >  if done from the CLI.  What am Imissing?
>
> Can you create anything on the pendrive (try "> /media/DaneElec/foo")?
> Is the pendrive mounted read/write?
> Are you doing this as root or as yourself?
> Please post the output of "ls -ld /media/DaneElec", and of "mount|grep
> DaneElec".

I don't really remember where I had got to last night.  This morning, though,
I discovered that I couldn't copy/move as user, but I could as root, so I'm
doing that at the moment.  It's been running for the last 5.5 hours!  I'd
forgotten just how slow usb 1.1 is :-)

In another hour or so I'll have everything on the pen-drive.  The first thing
I'll try is making sure that existing repos are disabled, then put my local
one as the first stanza in the rawhide one, and try to upgrade from that.

If I can't find any way to do it I'll have to burn a boot.img onto a CD and
hope that I can continue from the pen-drive.  I've never done anything like
that, but I understand that it should work.  If there are any pointers, just
in case, I'd like to hear them.

Whatever happens, I'll report back.

Anne