KDE nightmare

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:39:16 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008 14:24, Mike C wrote:
> Mary Ellen Foster <foster <at> in.tum.de> writes:
> > NB: doesn't seem to work with the taskbar, and it's difficult to find
> > the right place to click on the systray.
>
> I guess that the Fedora KDE team has to work within the code provided by
> the KDE developers and KDE4 is very much in development right now.
>
> I too find that the current state of KDE4 is far from ideal, and
> functionality currently is way behind what I have been used to KDE3.5 in
> F8. However I think it has been stated a number of times that a really good
> level of KDE4 user provision is not really anticipated until version 4.1
> which is not due until around July IIRC.
>
> I guess the best approach for people testing KDE4 would be to file bugs
> at
> http://bugs.kde.org/
> and hope that things get fixed upstream which will make the lives of the
> Fedora KDE developers a whole lot easier.

Many things will be already work in progress, but doing that does tell them
which things the users find most urgently in need of fixing :-)

> Having said that things have improved quite a bit with recent rawhide
> rpms for KDE though there is clearly still a lot to get working properly.
> This does worry me somewhat in that when F9 is released then users new
> to KDE might not be particularly impressed with it, even though
> potentially KDE4 could be made to work beautifully once development gets
> through version 4.1 and into 4.2 ...  other may feel differently of course!

Agreed.  I feel I'm going to have to say 'give it a chance' quite a lot of
times.  OTOH, it's perfectly possible to either use the 'Classic' menu or
even to have both.  I use both so that I can keep an eye on what's happening
to dolphin, but still use Classic if I need to find something in a hurry.

Anne