Preview Release & NetworkManager

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 19:38:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 19:19 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 19:03, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 April 2008 17:18, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > I've no idea if this will work, but:
> > >
> > > Copy the /boot stuff (vmlinux, initrd, System.map and config) from the
> > > Live CD into your installed /boot. Also /lib/modules, same thing.
> > > Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to *add* (not replace) the Live CD version of
> > > the kernel as a boot-time option.
> > >
> > > Cross fingers and reboot, selecting the appropriate version.
> >
> > Patrick, I'm close to calling quits.  I've fought this constantly for 10
> > days now, and given it huge slices of  my time.  No-one has added any
> > comment to my bug report, so it's quite possible that there is no other
> > example of this PCMCIA adapter still being used in linux.  I have to wonder
> > whether it's worth knocking myself out any more.

I hear you. I have no problem generating random suggestions, but it's
not costing me much :-) Here's another one: try a different model PCMCIA
card. Your call.

> Somewhere along the line I must have managed it as 'lsmod | grep pcnet'
> returns
>
> pcnet_cs	38704	0
> 8390	11776	1 pcnet_cs
>
> However, 'Network is unreachable'.  What now?

Are you running Network Manager? Click on the icon and again on the line
that identifies your connection. It should restart the interface.

If not running NM, do 'ifdown <interface>; ifup <interface'. That's
assuming you haven't changed anything else of course.

poc