Silly question about panel

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 17:57:05 UTC 2008

--- Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 27 April 2008 17:26:09 Antonio M wrote:
> > I don't know whether Fedora is Gnome-based system
> supporting also KDE,
> > as you say
> > My experience (but not Anne's) is I am using
> Gnome, and the users I
> > know are running their systems on Gnome.
> > We all didn't give  a try to KDE mainly because
> standard graphic
> > installation (in particular for newcomers) seems
> to be suggesting
> > Gnome.
> > And Gnome seems to be satisfactory.
> >
> > My two (and last) cents.....
>
> Not that it has special relevance, but my first
> experience of linux was RH5,
> and that was when I was so impressed with kde that I
> never left it for more
> than a day or two.  What I think is really relevant
> is that people don't like
> change, so the first desktop they see is likely to
> become their desktop for
> years.
>
> Anne
> > --

Also at that time, if I am not mistaken, Red Hat did
not put much emphasis into KDE that Mandrake Linux was
born using Red Hat as the base and they took up on KDE
and made it look better than Red Hat.  So in some ways
Anne, you have used Mandrake Linux and now Mandriva,
you like KDE and as you have mentioned you will also
run Mandriva 2008.0 or 2008.1 because Fedora's KDE is
not there yet and you need a comfort zone. Am I right?

Like Antonio M mentioned earlier, if you take the
Fedora DVD the default will be gnome, if you want KDE,
you would be better served using The KDE Live CD
variant.  I install both if I have the space, I use
k3b and some KDE apps.

FYI,
I install both KDE and Gnome when I install Fedora
onto my machines.  Which one I use on a particular
machine depends on which one runs better on the
machine.  As for stats, I do not care for them.
There's Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.  For Rawhide,
I would like to give KDE more of a chance, but it is
not beating out Gnome for the starting position.
Gnome is doing a better job for me.  my $0.02 :)

Thanks,

Antonio