GDM Greeter

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Apr 28 16:06:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:20:33AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> The old gdmsetup exposed every
> arcane configuration detail,

Apparently those "arcane details" are making older gdm versions
usable in situations other than a default.  So far I have an
impression that as far as arcane goes gdm-2.22 configuration beats
everything in sight handily.  Add to that "inflexible" and
"mysterious" and we start to close to a reasonable description.

In particular on http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration
one can find: "The GDM Greeter uses some of the same framework that
your desktop session will use. And so, it is influenced by a number
of the same GConf settings".  On a machine with mulitple
users and desktop sessions configured in various ways with
different GConf settings what this mythical "your desktop"
is supposed to be and what that "the same" may mean?

   Michal