Add Remove Software

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:14:28 UTC 2008

James J Catchpole wrote:
>>> I am not sure if anyone has commented on the
>>> Add/Remove Software function but I find it
>>> almost impossible to use. Following are a couple
>>> of comments:
>>>
>>> 1) It appears that you can only Add or Remove
>>>     one package at a time.
>>>

>> I have filed this one. Still on discussion about what the user
>> interface should look like. Note that the PackageKit allows you to
>> queue transactions. So you can install multiple packages without the
>> UI blocking.
>>
>   I am unable to figure out how to queue up updates. that
>   should be the default in any case.

If you're talking about installs rather than updates, Click install, select
another item, click install.  It works for me with the latest version of PK in
rawhide.  Any other operation that PK performs (update, refresh software list,
etc) should queue in the same way.

>   From an End User Perspective there should be a section
>   on the panel that prints out the status of updates as they occur.
>   More or less    as Yum Displays the output as each package is installed.
>
>   There should be a section on the panel that  lists the queue of
>    packages being removed, updated or installed.

There is such a list, it is part of the gpk-update-icon tray icon for the gnome
panel (I don't know if it works in KDE?).  When clicking on the icon it shows
the current queue of operations, clicking on any one item in the queue shows the
status window for that operation.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29