yum stuck trying to connect to Stanford

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:48:42 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:13 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>> When I do a 'yum upgrade' (on F9), I get the attached result.
>> I looks like it's trying to connect to the Stanford network.
>> And indeed yesterday I was at Stanford with my laptop, and
>> it did try to connect to Stanford's wireless network, which is
>> one of those that requires a code/logon, which I don't have.
>>
>> But now I'm home again, and I still get this weird error.
>> This is even after re-booting twice, stopping NetworkManager,
>> and manually bringing up eth0, which I connecting through just fine.
>>
>> How do I "unstick" yum?
>
> run:
>    yum clean expire-cache
>
> see if that fixes it up for you.

If he's using fastestmirror it may also be stuck on the prior decision to use
standford right?  Then it would be good to also run?
yum clean plugins

Or would fastestmirror automatically abandon a fastest it cannot get to?  I've
never had it stuck on an inaccessible network so I'm not sure.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29