F9beta update takes forever

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 29 13:41:18 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2008, at 4:08, John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Will Woods wrote:
>>> If memory serves, it's been obsoleted by the multilib_policy feature
>>> in yum. It defaults to 'best', so 'yum install PKG' already does what
>>> you want it to - only installs PKG.x86_64, not PKG.i386.
>>> See here:
>>> http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/long-wanted-feature-added-to-yum/
>>>
>>> also:
>>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-February/msg00168.html
>>>
>> Thanks Will.
>> According to the second, it defaults to "all" which I think means
>> "worst" or "bloated":-)
>>
>> Now, if someone could _document_ it. In the package, not some place in
>> the longlostweb..
>>

> Fedora configs default to best. I could have sworn that this was
> documented in the yum or yum.conf man pages.
>
> --jes

I did not recognise this description (in the man page) as what I wanted:
multilib_policy
               Can  be  set to 'all' or 'best'. All means install all
possible arches for any package you want
               to install. Therefore yum install foo will install
foo.i386 and foo.x86_64 on x86_64, if it  is
               available. Best means install the best arch for this
platform, only.

As you can see, it doesn't describe what the default is. I think the
whole description is flawed, both the key word and its description will
go over the heads of most users, even those who know to read the man page.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait