F9beta update takes forever

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 29 13:38:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 21:31 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> That's a shame. I have the equivalent to '-d 3' in yum.conf since you
> mentioned it last time, and the output wasn't that great. It's gone
> though, I can't find it in any of my "xterms."

the output is just adding a handful of debug information and it outputs
all the times that each of the operations take.

> There are no updates pending at present, but I guess that when there
> are, I should precede the update with "yum clean <something>."  Is there
> anything better than "all" from your POV?

You don't need to 'yum clean all' you can just 'yum clean packages'

> I did note that rpm took a long time to install a kernel the other day;
> I've favoured using yumdownloader to get the latest kernel, then rpm to
> install it.

That makes no sense at all. Seriously, I don't know how exactly you've
determined that running the transaction with rpm is faster but it makes
no sense.

-sv