F9beta update takes forever

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 29 14:26:30 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

> That makes no sense at all. Seriously, I don't know how exactly you've
> determined that running the transaction with rpm is faster but it makes
> no sense.

Speed wasn't the concern.

I had a kernel bug, and was anxious to test the latest. Yum, despite my
configuration, insisted on deleting the only working kernel. Someone
said that there was a yum bug and that a fix was forthcoming, so I
simply ran yumdownloader regularly and then rpm to install the kernel.

And just in case, I removed a working kernel from the rpm database.

Speed was completely unimportant, though not downloading lots of stuff I
didn't want, by not doing an regular yum upgrade didn't bother me at
all. Makes good sense to me.

--

Cheers
John