rawhide report: 20080802 changes

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 21:59:35 UTC 2008

> > > One of these or both break X, neither KDE nor
> GNOME
> > wants to come up :(
> > >
> > > What should I do?
> > >
> > > I removed the 205 kernel, but still 208 kernel
> does
> > the exact same thing
> > > and cannot connect.
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Antonio
> > >

> > I installed this from koji and my x came back up:
> >

> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=58324
> >
> > - David

David,

The kernel works, X comes up, but I still cannot connect to the net with it.  I get back error 1.  Here's what happens

[olivares at localhost ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at localhost ~]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Aug  2 16:35:14 2008
--> Pid of pppd: 3410
--> pppd: 0][01] �f[01]
--> Disconnecting at Sat Aug  2 16:35:15 2008
--> The PPP daemon has died: Fatal pppd error (exit code = 1)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
[...]
--> Starting pppd at Sat Aug  2 16:35:23 2008
--> Pid of pppd: 3426
--> pppd: 0][01] �f[01]
--> Disconnecting at Sat Aug  2 16:35:23 2008
--> The PPP daemon has died: Fatal pppd error (exit code = 1)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 10 seconds
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
^CCaught signal 2:  Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Disconnecting at Sat Aug  2 16:35:30 2008
[root at localhost ~]# uname -r
2.6.27-0.211.rc1.git3.fc10.i686
[root at localhost ~]#

I have to delete all these newer 2.6.27* kernels till there is one that works with the USB Modem.  Is there a command which will allow the connection to work?

If I update all these new kernels, I will lose the ability to update to newer packages.  Error 1 appears to be with memory allocation

EXIT STATUS
       The exit status of pppd is set to indicate whether any  error
       was  detected,  or  the reason for the link being terminated.
       The values used are:

       0      Pppd has detached, or  otherwise  the  connection  was
              successfully  established and terminated at the peer’s
              request.

       1      An immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such
              as an essential system call failing, or running out of
              virtual memory.

       2      An error was detected in processing the options given,
              such as two mutually exclusive options being used.

       3      Pppd  is  not setuid-root and the invoking user is not
              root.

       4      The kernel does not support PPP, for example, the  PPP
              kernel driver is not included or cannot be loaded.
<snip removed >

Are there any boot parameters that can allow me to use these newer kernels and achieve a successful connection?

TIA,

Antonio