mounting dmcrypt-luks encrypted CD in F9?

Mike C mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 16:46:05 UTC 2008

I have modified the technique detailed for gentoo at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Burn_Encrypted_Optical_Media_With_Luks
so that I have been able to make an encrypted CD containing a directory
and some files as a test.

If I put this CD in the CD drive I get a pop up asking me to enter the
luks passphrase - and if I enter this it is happy but there is no apparent
mount point available to see the contents, and there is nothing in the way
of any messages in /var/log/messages during this process.

I can certainly make the CD visible by doing the following steps:
MAPPER="cryptocd"
CDROM=/dev/cdrom
MOUNTDIR=/mnt/tmp
LOOP=$(losetup -f)
losetup $LOOP $CDROM && echo $LOOP >/tmp/loop_device
cryptsetup luksOpen $LOOP $MAPPER
mount /dev/mapper/$MAPPER $MOUNTDIR

Then
ls /mnt/tmp
will list the files on the encrypted CD....

Can someone tell me what is happening during the initial request for the
luks passphrase and where I might be able to see the filesystem without having
to manually execute the lines I listed above?

How can I then make an icon pop up on the desktop if I do execute the lines
manually?  Of course this could be made into a script and automated but it
would be nice to have an icon open automatically when I put the CD in the
CDROM drive, rather like when an encrypted usbkey is plugged in and the icon
pops onto the desktop once the luks passphrase has been entered.

All advice gratefully received...