Upgrading to 10alpha

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Aug 7 01:38:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:13:40AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM, John Summerfield
>> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>> What it wants is to download 1.7 Gbytes of stuff. I don't have that much
>>> free space[1], but mounting a USB drive is possible.
>>
>> You've left out quite a few details if a 1.7 GB problem requires a 320
>> GB solution.
>>

> See below, I need to buy a new drive and clone and retire the existing
> drive. There's no space for a new drive.

Well, another solution is "delete 1.7 GB of data".  You could for
example remove -devel packages (and definately debuginfo if you have
any):

yum remove \*-devel \*-debuginfo

and if that doesn't give enough space, consider temporarily removing
some applications to free up enough space to do the update, then put
them back after, e.g.:

yum groupremove 'Office/Productivity'

Check for huge logfiles in /var/log and delete or compress old ones,
etc.