Upgrading to 10alpha

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 02:30:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 08:38:06PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:13 PM, John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > xen on F9 is basically useless (in my hands).
>

> > KVM is better, but prone to hanging guests.
>
> I was wondering... having heard that I won't go there... for
> production use anyway...

I haven't run into that.  However, what I have found (and didn't care
enough about to seriously try fixing) is that sometimes, there are mouse
issues with MS guests, and it makes it seem slower than it should be.

> > VirtualPC and VirtualServer work.
>
> Good to know.

I'm not familiar with VirtualServer.  However, VirtualBox runs quite
nicely on Fedora 9 for me.

> > I have the system principally for running virtual machines. (CentOS5 is
> > pretty unsatisfactory, for any purpose except maybe a headless server) on
> > the machine in question.

Ah, your prejudice is showing. As my main quad core machine runs CentOS,
(it works as my web server among other things) I made it into my desktop
as well, and it's really quite adequate for my relatively simple needs.
(Watching movies sometimes, browsing, email, that sort of thing.)  On a
laptop, I have run into issues as its version of alsa seems a bit dated
and won't work with the sound card, but everything else is fine.

> Mine will be my desktop work environment, so also needs the latest
> features in user interface, heterogeneous systems, and sadly, Windows
> - virtual and/or emulated.

For what it's worth, I have a very unscientific comparison of VMware,
KVM and VirtualBox up at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vmcomp.html

For a windows guest, though, I think I would go with VirtualBox.  It
gets better with each release (save perhaps for 1.6, but they fixed the
problems relatively quickly).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: When did you become Martha Stewart?
Buffy: First of all, Martha Stewart knows jack about hand-cut
prosciutto.
Xander: I don't believe she slays, either.
Oz: Oh, I hear she can, but she doesn't like to.