Upgrading to 10alpha

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 10:46:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:06:05PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> I have to say I'm impressed with VirtualBox:-(
>
> I downloaded it on my CentOS5 system , and then
> rpm -ivh ...
> and too a brief comfort break.
> Came back to see the grub menu vanish as the system began booting.
>
> VirtualBox didn't start. A quick investigation showed no kernel module and no
> magic kernel builder package (not mentioned as a prereq??).
> "make && make install" in the right directory got the module.

Great software, poor documentation, especially for RH based systems.

If you're not yet disgusted with it, would you please try again after
doing

yum -y install gcc gcc-c++ make kernel-devel

Like many things, it does require the basic build tools.  (I've found
that the above will almost always pull in everything else I need as
deps, e.g., kernel-headers.

I should put up a quick start guide, and probably will at some point.

After adding the above programs, if your user name is john, as root or
with root privilege
gpasswd -a john vboxusers

Log out completely as john, log back in, make sure you're a member of
vboxusers.

service vboxdrv setup

This will take a little while, but even with a relatively slow box,
probably less than 3 minutes.  You should see that it completed
successfully, making it unnecessary to do a modprobe.  It will probably
add the vboxdrv to automatically start upon boot--if that's OK, fine, if
not then fix it with chkconfig or your tool of choice.

By default, like qemu, it uses NAT networking. If that's OK for your
needs, well and good, if you want it to be a separate host on the LAN, I
have a page on that part of it, at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vboxbridge.html since their docs
for bridging in Fedora were incomplete last time I looked.

> modprobe ...
> Instant panic, system reboots.
> Defaults to same kernel, panics and reboots....

I've never run into that with it, especially on CentOS.
With CentOS, it's always been a pretty smooth install.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Does it ever get easy?
Giles: You mean life?
Buffy: Yeah, does it ever get easy?
Giles: What do you want me to say?
Buffy: Lie to me.
Giles: Yes. It's terribly simple. The good guys are always s
talwart and true. The bad guys are easily distinguished by their
pointy horns or black hats, and we always defeat them and save
the day. No one ever dies... and everyone lives happily ever
after.
Buffy: Liar.