SystemError: error return without exception set

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Thu Aug 7 23:46:43 UTC 2008

So...  a recent Rawhide update had the amusing side effect of making
all of my printers go away.  I kind of went with the "save a tree" flow
for a while, but there comes a point, occasionally, where you've got to
get something in hard copy.  So I figured I'd pull up the printing
admin dialog and get my printers back.

No joy.  When run by hand, system-config-printer gives me this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5059, in <module>
    main(configure_printer, change_ppd)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5027, in main
    gtk.gdk.threads_init()
SystemError: error return without exception set

As it happens, I get something very similar out of sectool-gui when I
try to run it.

Clearly, something be broke.  But I don't really even know where to
look, or where to file a bug.  I *guess* it's a pygtk problem?  Anybody
else seeing this, or have any suggestions?  The environment won't thank
you, but I will...

jon